[QGIS-Developer] Change plugin name
Nils Nolde
2018-11-23 21:23:41 UTC

I'm the author of OSM Tools plugin. As several people (rightfully)
pointed out, the name is way too generic (in my defense, when I set out
I wanted it to be way more generic).

Now, I'm a few versions in and I think a few people are using it and
became sorta dependent on it. But I'd like to rename it to ORS Tools,
since that's much more to the point.

Is there a graceful way to rename a plugin without re-releasing under a
new name? If not, any recommendations on how to propagate the info?

Thanks

Nils
Paolo Cavallini
2018-11-27 10:40:20 UTC
Post by Nils Nolde
Hi,
I'm the author of OSM Tools plugin. As several people (rightfully)
pointed out, the name is way too generic (in my defense, when I set
out I wanted it to be way more generic).
Now, I'm a few versions in and I think a few people are using it and
became sorta dependent on it. But I'd like to rename it to ORS Tools,
since that's much more to the point.
Is there a graceful way to rename a plugin without re-releasing under
a new name? If not, any recommendations on how to propagate the info?
I don't think there is a way to do so.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
Denis Rouzaud
2018-11-27 11:58:50 UTC
I see two ways of propagating the info:
easy way: on qgis user mailing list
elegant way: release a new version of your plugin which opens a dialog
after install (or at each startup, but it's a bit aggressive) which tells
your user that the plugin has been renamed.

Denis
Post by Paolo Cavallini
Hi,
***@opengis.ch <***@opengis.ch>
+41 76 370 21 22
Nils Nolde
2018-11-27 12:26:35 UTC
Thx Denis, I'll opt for the elegant way:) Great suggestion.
Post by Denis Rouzaud
easy way: on qgis user mailing list
elegant way: release a new version of your plugin which opens a dialog
after install (or at each startup, but it's a bit aggressive) which
tells your user that the plugin has been renamed.
Denis
Hi,
Post by Nils Nolde
a new name? If not, any recommendations on how to propagate the
info?
I don't think there is a way to do so.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu <http://www.faunalia.eu>
Denis Rouzaud
+41 76 370 21 22
Borys Jurgiel
2018-11-27 12:54:44 UTC
Post by Denis Rouzaud
easy way: on qgis user mailing list
elegant way: release a new version of your plugin which opens a dialog
after install (or at each startup, but it's a bit aggressive) which tells
your user that the plugin has been renamed.
I started to write exactly the same :-) You can also call the plugin
installer
API in order to install ORSTools:

import pyplugin_installer
pyplugin_installer.instance().installPlugin('ORSTools', quiet=False)

Uninstalling OSMTools from within itself may be more tricky, but should be
possible as well. You may need to call the plugin's unload() method
prior to uninstalling:

self.unload()
pyplugin_installer.instance().uninstallPlugin('opl_bazaprojektow',
quiet=False)

Also the uninstalling should be the very last line in the function (just don't
try
to do anything after it's removed).

Best regards,

Borys
Alex M
2018-11-27 20:57:21 UTC
Post by Borys Jurgiel
Post by Denis Rouzaud
[...]
Why not call the uninstall from the newly installed plugin.
So old plugin says, here get the new plugin at new name.
Then new plugin offers to remove old plugin.

Thanks,
Alex